DISCLAIMER: This is not intended to be a replacement for legal advice. Certain immigration issues, particularly related to marriage and work, may require further communication with a lawyer or legal representation to better interpret your situation under Colombian law.

Colombia does grant visas upon entry to most countries. The maximum permitted length of stay in Colombia for tourism, is limited to two 90 day visas in one calendar year. Anything longer requires special approval for the applicable visa.


Countries which must apply for a tourist visa:

  • Algiers
  • Bulgaria
  • China (P.R.)
  • Haiti
  • Egypt
  • India
  • Iran
  • Kenya


Currently the Cancilleria website in Colombia has an easy to use tool to help you find the requirements for different types of Visas. Input your country, passport type and desired activity. Their site will tell you if you need a V – Visitor, M – Migrant, R – Residency, and a list of requirements.

You can be fined, arrested or even deported. It is illegal to overstay your visa. If you think that you will not be able to leave the country due to a medical reason or travel limitations, then you must consult with the nearest immigration office to request an extension. A doctor’s note, or distinct reason may be required.


Tourism is limited to two 90 day Visas within a calendar year. Pay very close attention to your entry stamp as it will tell you when you should exit the country. Don’t wait until the last minute to request an extension. We recommend visiting Immigration at least a week or two before you must leave. They can deny you at their discretion.


Travelers with a tourist visa can participate in volunteer activities. It is illegal to work in Colombia on a work visa. Work activities without proper permissions can result in legal actions or deportation. Many schools and companies will not organize work visas unless you are physically in Colombia.


Yes. You are not automatically granted permission to be in Colombia, or citizenship – based on a marriage ceremony. It is necessary to apply with a copy of your marriage certificate while fulfilling other necessary requirements and/or costs. There is a length of residency requirement prior to receiving citizenship.